Tuesday, September 17, 2019


Whatcha Worried About?
“You’re going to wear your helmet, right?” Blondie asked me.  Somehow early on she had become convinced I wasn’t very safety conscious.

“Always,” I said, knowing it wasn't entirely true and thinking maybe I’d given her reason to worry.

“Will you be on a dangerous road?”

“No, kiddo, the whole course is a trail that used to be train tracks.”

Brat Boy chimed in, “Will you be encased in two layers of bubble wrap?  Have Secret Service protection? Training wheels?” Blondie elbowed him in the ribs hard enough to knock the laugh out of him.  Apparently she wasn’t all that concerned about his health and well-being.

“I’ll be careful,” I assured her. The worried look melted into a smile, but it reminded of the faces I’d seen at Family Night at the rehab. Family members feared their loved ones would drink and drive, overdose, ruin a relationship, or put a job in jeopardy.

I was grateful my family need not worry about me.

Today I won’t give people a reason to worry about me.


Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose
Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment