Friday, September 6, 2019

Good Ideas Twisted
To break the silence, I asked Cara why she had signed a contract with a caterer.  “It wasn’t your wedding,” I said, pointing out the obvious.

“Sam and Pam wouldn’t have spent the money they should on their wedding. I refused to enable their cheapness.”

“Not enabling someone’s addiction is a good idea because addiction kills people,” I said. “It’s OK to enable grown people to save money.”

Sue, who still didn’t know Cara well, said, “I think paying for their reception would have been a beautiful gesture.”

“Thank you,” Cara said with a smug smile.  “And, I was going to let them take as long as they liked to pay me back, without interest.”  Sue’s jaw dropped.

Roger laughed. “Oh, there’d be interest alright! Every time Cara needed a favor she’d remind them of the money they owed her.”

Once again I was amazed at Cara’s ability to take a good idea like not enabling and use it to manipulate people.  I’d seen too many others twist religion, Twelve Step principles, family loyalty, patriotism, and the like to their own ends.

Today I won’t be manipulated by misused good ideas.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose
Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment