Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Fawlty Showers

Coffee Break
Dana stopped by my desk, a box of donuts in hand. “Heard the writing isn’t going well.”

I nodded, “Trying to impress people rather than just writing.”

“I’m impressed a man your age remembers it’s socks first and then shoes.  Be right back.”

She returned with two mugs of steaming coffee. I started to take a sip, but she held up a hand. “When you’re struggling you need to stop and smell the coffee, literally and figuratively.”

“You struggling?” I asked.

“My teen princess has been sending me angry texts. She had to get out of bed to get tissues. Apparently a good mother would have stayed home to nurse her through her low fever and sniffles.”

“Damn, I’m gonna have to call child protective services.”

“My little one is in the principal’s office.  He snuck a couple of potato bugs into his friend’s chili. When my angel told his friend, the kid vomited all over the girl next to him.”

“Sometimes the best you can do is stop and smell the coffee,” I said. We traded insults, laughing and drinking our coffee. When she left, I found taking a break had made all the difference.  

Today I will stop and smell the coffee.

  

Fawlty Showers © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Fawlty Showers is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

·         www.greenbriartraining.com 

·         https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment