Tuesday, October 27, 2020


 Fawlty Showers


Paint Job

I went back to my desk and looked at what I’d written so far. Not much, not very good. I started making changes here and there, trying to paint over the weaknesses in my writing.


A friend from AA had painted over his car’s rust spots. A guy who worked in a body shop told him he should have sanded the whole thing down and started over with a primer.  “The rust will bubble to the surface in no time.”


Another friend had painted over the problems in his marriage with gifts. Eventually his wife started seeing the gifts as bribes, and left him. In the twenty years they were together he could have changed his ways and started over, but giving her presents was much easier.


Once I knew I had a problem with booze, I had tried to paint over it. I switched from beer to vodka and back again. I limited myself to weekends – Thursday at midnight to Sunday evening.  I drank wine for a while. My problems kept bubbling to the surface, worse than before.


I deleted everything I had written and started over.

 


Today I won’t paint over when I need to start over.

 


Fawlty Showers © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Fawlty Showers is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

·         www.greenbriartraining.com 

·         https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

·         https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/


No comments:

Post a Comment