Wednesday, March 10, 2021


 Fawlty Showers


Honestly

We were eating dinner when I got at text from a friend in recovery.  She was trying to come up with a catchy name for her hair salon.


‘Hair O’Win’, she wrote.


‘Pronounced like heroin?!?’ I asked.


‘Yep! ‘Cause our haircuts are addictive and I’m Irish.’


Clearly my friend liked the name.  She liked it a lot. I did not.  I was tempted to just go along, but I really thought I owed her that much honesty.  Sometimes being a friend means telling someone things they don’t want to hear. They have a drinking problem, or their boyfriend isn’t at the library at 2:30 a.m.


I wrote ‘With a name that sounds like heroin, you could set aside a back room for women to trade sex for highlights.  Open a pawn shop next door for them to sell stolen goods for dimes on the dollar.  Use dirty scissors and combs to share scalp infections.’


She sent me a frowning emoji. ‘You’re just jealous you don’t think of it!’ I tried.

 

Today I’ll be honest with people.

 

Fawlty Showers is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

  • www.greenbriartraining.com 
  • https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S
  • https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/


No comments:

Post a Comment