Friday, July 16, 2021

 

Fawlty Showers


Debt

I hit the gym after work, thinking I’d get on the stationary bike, shut my eyes, and peacefully pedal for an hour while listening to an audio book.


Epiphany Chaser took the bike next to mine, and began telling me in voice loud enough to be heard across the gym about the different views held by her two therapists. I took out my earbuds.


Ten minutes into her monologue, I reminded myself real men don’t hit women, violence is never the answer.


Maybe planting evidence was? I could buy a gun legally, file off the serial numbers, put it in her car with some cash and a bundle of heroin.  Call the police anonymously.


I knew I could never bring myself to buy heroin. Instead, I said, “Sorry to interrupt, but I’d really like to get back to my book.” I put my earbuds back.


“How rude!” Epiphany said.  I started to apologize, but thought talkers have a knack for making people feel they owe the talker their attention.   Likewise, people thought the company owed them a pass, no matter what the policy said about positive drug screens. As a therapist I’d often witnessed an abusive spouse insisting they were owed one more chance.  


I’d also seen many people rob themselves of happiness paying debts they didn’t owe.  I shrugged and turned up the volume. I enjoyed my ride.

 


Today I won’t pay a debt I don’t owe.

 

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

             www.greenbriartraining.com 

             https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

             https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/


No comments:

Post a Comment