Monday, July 19, 2021


 Fawlty Showers 2


One More

The next day I spoke about addiction at a local high school.  A kid asked me if everyone has a little bit of an addictive personality.


I said, “I don’t know if I’d say everyone does, but I think it’s human nature to want just one more.”  I gestured toward the audience, “Anybody?”


A boy put his foot in the air, and said, “Sneakers. I work in shoe store so I can get a discount when I buy one more pair.”


“One more game,” a boy said, “I gotta play one more video game.”


“One more episode,” a girl in the front row said.  “Netflix is half the reason I’m failing Calc.”


A boy behind her snorted, “The other half reason is you’re a girl.”


She turned to glare at him and say, “My favorite show is ‘How to Get Away with Murder.’ Hey, don’t you cut through the woods on your way home?”


They laughed, and I added, “The ‘one mores’ are a good reminder, maybe a warning, that while most people are not prone to addiction, the first step toward it seems to be human nature.”


Today I will beware of the one mores.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•             www.greenbriartraining.com 

•             https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

•             https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment