Friday, July 30, 2021


 Fawlty Showers 2


Emotional Means

“Wait,” I said to Dana, “Back up.  The Dope’s family lives in one of those huge houses on the hill. How can they be broke?”


Dana said, “Living way beyond their means.  The car they left in Mexico is a Porsche.”


Abigail said, “There’s many ways to live beyond one’s means.  Deep down I want a normal relationship with my aunt, but I can’t afford the sadness and the chaos she causes.”


I think we were all a little surprised to hear Abigail so open about her feelings. We added our own examples to let her know she wasn’t alone.


“My husband is a handsome, charming when he wants to be, drain on my soul,” Katy said. “Being around him is living beyond my emotional means.”


“I loved booze,” I said, “but the fallout from drinking caused me problems beyond my means to fix, so I don’t drink.”


“Oh, just the thought of poisoning the Dope,” Dana said, a wistful look in her eyes. 


I waited for her to say dwelling on that thought was living, even as a fantasy, beyond her emotional means.  Instead, she said, “The thought of him falling face down into the soup he’s been slurping …”


We all took a step back from Dana.

 

Today I will not live beyond my emotional means.

 

 Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•             www.greenbriartraining.com 

•             https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

•             https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment