Thursday, July 15, 2021


 Fawlty Showers 2

Lunch

I ate lunch in the break room that day, something I rarely did.


Abigail was finishing the same lunch she ate every day: half a sandwich, a hard-boiled egg, and tea.


I had to ask, “Abigail, don’t you ever want something different?”


She wiped the corner of her mouth, neatly placing the napkin back in her lap.


“As a child, I never knew what lunch might be,” Abigail said.  “Some days my aunt sent me to school with a bag of chips. If I complained, she would send me the next day with nothing at all, or a grocery bag filled to the brim to embarrass me.”


“I still don’t understand the appeal of eating the same thing every day.”


“I like this lunch. I like the predictability. Most of all, I like the way it feels as if I’m sticking it to my crazy aunt, as illogical as that sounds.”


Illogical or not, I had to give Abigail credit, she had turned what could have been a resentment into a reward.  I wondered if I had resentments I might want to convert.


 

Today I’ll try to turn a resentment into a reward.


 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

             www.greenbriartraining.com 

             https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

             https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/


No comments:

Post a Comment