Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Fawlty Showers 2

Half a Policy

The next day I was stunned to see the middle-aged man sitting in our waiting room.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, hoping he was visiting someone.

In his Eastern European accent he said, “I slipped. After 15 years, I slipped.”

I’d met Tomas when he first stumbled into an AA meeting. He’d struggled with depression for as long as I’d known him.  We’d talked about antidepressants, but he had refused to consider them.

“I blame you,” he said, chuckling. “I finally took the pills and the cloud lifted.”

“That sounds like a good thing,” I said, puzzled.

“It was, until I started thinking maybe I’m not so depressed, I can drink a little.”

“You know it’s a bad idea for you to drink regardless of medications, right?”

“I know.” Pointing to his black eye and swollen lip, he added, “Also bad idea to ask muscled guy in bar if he thinks he’s tough. Or ask his girlfriend if stripper pole puts callouses on her hands.”

“Luckily you have half an insurance policy,” I said.

“What is half policy?” Tomas asked.

“Imagine something bad happens. You relapse, or lose someone, and the world comes crashing in. You call the ‘my life is crashing insurance company’. They send you the materials to rebuild, like AA, or a grief counselor, maybe a physical therapist if you get hurt.  These folks do their half. Your half is doing the work.”

“You’re saying I’m lucky I have what I need to put my life back together?”  I nodded, he nodded, and the work began.

 

Today I’ll be grateful I have half an insurance policy.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

                    www.greenbriartraining.com  

https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

No comments:

Post a Comment