Thursday, December 23, 2021

Fawlty Showers 2

 

Strange Allergies

I ran group the next day. “Is addiction like an allergy?” someone asked.


“Addictions are strange allergies,” I said. “Like any allergy, your brain and body don’t react well to using or doing something.”


“Bad things happen when you use that something, whatever that something is,” a young man said, nodding his head.


“Addiction is not like an allergy for at least two reasons. An allergic reaction to something like shellfish makes you never want to eat shellfish again.  But, people who relapse often want to keep using.”


I took a sip of my coffee and continued. “Unlike allergic reactions, the effects of a relapse are often delayed. People don’t see the damage done right away.”


“Maybe that’s why people push you to have just one,” a middle-aged woman said with a heavy sigh.


“Some people don’t understand addictions are like strange allergies,” I said.


“And some people are just #$%@^#s,” the young man said. 


Instead of arguing with him, I said, “Accept that you have a strange allergy. Never push someone to have just one. Avoid people who don’t understand.”


Today I will accept people have strange allergies. I won’t push them to have just one. I’ll avoid people who push me to do so.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

                     www.greenbriartraining.com  

                     https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible


No comments:

Post a Comment