Wednesday, April 20, 2022

 

Is There A Reward?

That afternoon I had to drive to Philadelphia to present on trauma and addiction.  I’d downloaded an audiobook that was supposed to be a bestselling murder mystery.


The ad for the book had described it as ‘thrilling’ and ‘suspenseful.’  I would have said ‘plodding’ and ‘predictable.’  Much of the book read like an extended cooking show with long descriptions of wine selection and meal preparation.


Part of me thought I should suffer through the rest of the book. ‘You bought it, you listen to it’, the voice in my head said.


The drive was part of my job, but not something I looked forward to. An interesting audiobook would make the five hours pass more quickly.


‘Buy another book for the trip,’ another voice answered. ‘Everyone should reward themselves every now and again, even if it’s just for living up to their responsibilities.’


I bought the book and enjoyed it all the way to Philly.

 

Today I’ll reward myself, even if it’s just for living up to my responsibilities.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

                     www.greenbriartraining.com  

                     https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible


No comments:

Post a Comment