Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Fawlty Showers 2

 

Half Measures

I ran group the next morning. After I told them about Talmadge’s conversation with our waitress, I gave them a task.


“I want you to say a kind word about yourself,” I said. “If you can’t think of anything else, I want you to congratulate yourself on trying. Not everyone who comes to rehab works as hard as you guys have.”


The first person said he was trying.


The second person said she was learning to forgive.


The third person said each day he tried to be half the jackass he was the day before.


The group laughed. Someone said they’d never thought he was much of a jackass.


“We all have the potential to be a jackass,” he said. “Go to any kids’ sporting event, listen to the parents in the stands, and you’ll know that’s true.”


The group laughed. A few nodded, a few more looked embarrassed.


The man added, “If each day you try to be a little better person – half the jackass – than you were the day before, you’ll always have a little jackass in you, but it will take a lot more to bring it out.”  

 

Today I’ll try to be half the jackass I was the day before.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

                     www.greenbriartraining.com  

                     https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible


No comments:

Post a Comment