Monday, September 12, 2022

Fawlty Showers 2

Right Here

Dr. Deb came and sat down beside me. I showed her the email. “I won’t be able to put together something in time,” I said.


“Where is the conference?” she asked.


“Upstate New York in the fall. Would have been beautiful. I could have asked to speak on a Friday. We could have made a weekend out of it.”


“Remember way back when we’d get a bucket of chicken and have a rainy-day picnic on the basement floor?” she asked.


I got her point. When the weather was lousy and we were broke, we hadn’t needed to go anywhere.  We found joy right where we were.


I thought how addictive thinking wasn’t limited to addicted people. Human nature sent us scurrying for the next big thing, overlooking the little joys close at hand.


“Circle the date,” I said, pointing to the date of conference on my laptop. “I’m buying you a bucket of chicken and maybe even an extra side dish.”


She laughed. “Eat two thirds of the dessert this time and see what happens to you…”

 

Today I won’t overlook the little joys right where I am.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

                     www.greenbriartraining.com  

                     https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible

 

No comments:

Post a Comment