Thursday, August 4, 2016

10. Looking Down
After Roy left I struck up a conversation with an older woman sitting in the group room, cane at her side.

“My neighbor’s kid died of a heroin overdose,” she said.  “After the funeral I was so upset, I took two extra Percocet.  I get headaches when I cry.  They did the trick.  Pretty soon I was taking the pills night and day.” She shook her head. “How’s this for irony. I got addicted because I was so upset by someone dying from their addiction.”          

“At least you see the irony,” I said.  “A lot of people wouldn’t.”

“You know what kills me?” she asked. “I looked down on that kid and his family. I loved him like a son, but when he went to rehab, I thought a lot less of him.” She wiped a tear from the corner of her eye.

Today I will not look down on anyone.

Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental. 

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S

No comments:

Post a Comment