Sunday, August 7, 2016

11. Understand?
Her name was Margaret and she told me she'd made a friend in rehab who was just about her neighbor's age.   She said, "He has a pierced nipple, big holes in both ears, and more tattoos than my husband's navy buddies.  I'm an old church lady with a cane and a Bible.  Two years ago I would have crossed the street if I saw him coming."  

"What brought you together?" I asked.

"One day I was leaning on my cane, feeling the pain in my hip.  He asked me if I was OK, and I told him I'd beat him to death for a Vicodin.  He got a kick out of that, and we ended up talking about how we got addicted.   She smiled, "It's good to have a friend who understands me."

Today I will be grateful for friends who understand.


Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental. 

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S

No comments:

Post a Comment