Tuesday, August 15, 2017

100. Crowded
I checked my email before I went to bed. A depressing article caught my eye. The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism found the number of alcoholics in this country had risen 49% in eleven years. The article pointed out about one in eight Americans now has a drinking problem. People hadn’t really noticed because of the opioid crisis.  I only saw the article because it was reprinted in the Addiction/Recovery eBulletin from the DailyMail.co.uk.  
“One in eight,” I said to my cat. “That explains a lot.”  I told my cat alcoholics can get lost in the crowd of people who drink socially. Until they really screw up, they blend in. You think you drink like your friends who have a couple beers or a glass of wine after work, but you don’t.  You might be near the social drinking crowd, but you’re not really part of it. Recovery means standing apart sometimes, which isn’t always easy.
“I bet you have a friend who thinks he’s like other felines when it comes to catnip,” I told the cat. He didn’t argue.
Today I will stand out from the crowd.

Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment