Thursday, August 10, 2017

97. The Gift of Desperation
“I have been given a gift,” Holton said as he walked up to me. “Desperation.”
“Lucky you,” I said not sure what he meant.
“Jameston and I got to be friends. With his divorce, and his arrest, and the ALS, he’s going to need a friend. I don’t want to let him down. My company is expanding. For the first time in years I care what happens to my employees. Damn sobriety.”
“Damn sobriety,” I echoed. “It’ll make an alcoholic into a responsible adult.”
“I’m still not convinced I’m an alcoholic, but here’s the kicker. My girlfriend is pregnant. I desperately want to be a good father.”
I smiled. “Desperate to do the right thing.”

Today I’ll be grateful for the right kind of desperation.

Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment