Tuesday, August 22, 2017

105. Personal Debt
I got on Pinterest to look for story ideas. The site picked pins it thought might interest me:  motivational quotes, bikini girls fishing, canning, DIY concrete finishing, and history.
“I like fishing,” I said to my laptop. “I’ll check out the motivational quotes later.”
That annoying make-believe voice, like my own personal Jiminy Cricket, had me reaching for imaginary bug spray.  It said, “Borrowing work time to look at fishing pins just adds to your personal debt.”
We’d had this conversation before. The voice called borrowing time, money, energy from one area of life to feed another area ‘adding to your personal debt.’  The guy eating three donuts and telling himself he’ll go to the gym later owes himself a personal debt, time on the treadmill. Ditto the woman binge watching Netflix, planning to spend time with her kids tomorrow.  She owes them quality time.
“Fine,” I said to the voice. I clicked on the motivational quotes.
Today I won’t rack up any more personal debt.

Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment