Monday, August 14, 2017

99. Granted
That night I was is sitting in the daddy chair when Brat Boy got home.
“Almost bought it today,” he said. “I was trying to pass a truck on I79 when this guy pulled up behind me, like a foot off my back bumper.  I got past the truck, pulled into the right lane, and thought I was safe.  This idiot passes me, but stays in the left lane. He slows down until he’s beside me, the whole time drifting into my lane. I finally hit the horn, he seemed to wake up, and drove off, musta been doing 100.”
“Might have been drunk,” I said, “Glad you’re OK.”  Just then my wife texted me to say she was on her way home from work. She too would be traveling I79. I texted her ‘drive safe, you can’t be replaced’ with a heart emoji. I checked an app on my phone to see where Blondie was. To my relief she’d made it to her destination.
“Everybody’s always going somewhere,” I said to the dog and Brat Boy.  I thought ‘I take it for granted they’ll all get there safely. Maybe it’s because I take them for granted, at least a little.’

Today I won’t take anyone for granted.

Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment