Sunday, August 13, 2017

98. Roadblocks
“But what if I’m not a good father?” Holton asked.

“Drunks make bad fathers,” I said. “You’ve stopped drinking.”

“Yes, but I want to drink.”

“But right now you’ve got some serious clean time.  You’ve gotten past your first roadblock to being a good father. Drinking again would be like turning around and running into the roadblock you just passed. You want to do that?”

“No,” Holton argreed, “but there’s other roadblocks, more that might be get in the way of me being a good father. Other people’s kids get on my nerves.”

“Other people’s kids get on everybody’s nerves,” I said. “Just not all of them and not all at once.  One roadblock at a time.”

Today I’ll get around one roadblock at a time.

Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com
https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment