Wednesday, August 9, 2017

96. Don’t Compare Your Insides to Other People’s Outsides
As we were talking Holton pulled up in a sparkling new Mercedes. Quinn stared at the car.
“I get it,” Quinn said to me. “I get the slogan. ‘Don’t compare your insides to other people’s outsides.’ From the outside, Holton looks like he’s got it made. My insides are knotted up because I didn’t do more to help Austin.  If I compare my feelings to his appearance, I might feel sorry for myself.”
“And?” I asked.
“Holton’s struggling with his recovery. I think he knows he’s an alcoholic, but can’t face life without booze.  His ole heart breaks for them shelter dogs.  Holton says he hates people, but he looked he was gonna cry when Jameston went to jail. His insides hurt as much as mine.”
“If you compare your insides to his outsides,” I said, “You might resent him, rather than helping him.”
Today I won’t compare my insides to other people’s outsides.
Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment