Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Connected
When I got home, I told Dr. Deb about Weedman. She asked if I was feeling down about it.

“A little,” I said. “Hate to see anyone struggle like that.”

“You know what would make you feel better?” she asked.  “Rubbing my back.”

“See, I was gonna guess buying a new fishing rod.”

“Buying something will only make you feel good about that something, and probably only when it’s new.  Rubbing my back will make you feel good about yourself. Much better idea.”

“Next you’re going to tell me this is a win-win situation.”

“Absolutely, and I’m only offering to let you rub my back because I love you. A win-win wrapped in love – you can’t beat that.”

She was right of course, but not because rubbing her back had made me feel good about myself.  Weedman’s troubles hadn’t affected my self-esteem one way or the other. I felt connected as I massaged her shoulders. Staying connected reminded of the saying,  “Joy shared is doubled, sorrow shared is halved.”

Today I will stay connected.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose
Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment