Thursday, August 30, 2018

Oh DAAT 
I called Blondie and convinced her I was unlikely to drown, get shot, or eaten by a bear on my fishing trip. She told me a friend’s mother had gotten drunk after ten years of sobriety and crashed her car.

“Do you think you’ll ever drink again?” Blondie asked.

“Not today,” I said.

“That’s what you always say,” she said, laughing.

“And I’ve been sober 10,923 days, one day at a time.”

“Don’t you ever look to the future?”

“Of course I do. I figure out what I need to do to get ready, and I turn my attention back to that day. One day at a time, I make sure you and Brat Boy and your mother know I love you.  I try to squeeze the joy out of each and every day. I try to accept what sucks each day.  I try to see just how much I can get done so at the end of the day I can go to bed with a feeling of satisfaction.”

She laughed again. “Ok, but the one day you go fishing, don’t swim in the creek, wear your antler hat, or try to pet the bears.”

“Did I tell you I love you today?”

“You always do, Daddy. Love you too.”

Today I will focus on today.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment