Thursday, August 23, 2018

My Nature
The New Boss sent me a thumbs-up emoji and asked if I wanted to go fishing with him over the weekend. Did I want to stay in his cabin, catch trout from a stream running through the Laurel Highlands, just as the leaves were turning? I couldn’t wait to spend some time in nature.

I asked Daniel if he’d ever stayed at the cabin. “Lord, no!” he said. “It’s bad enough we have company picnics there, with all the bugs and the dirt.” I pictured him trying to disinfect a meadow. Daniel connected with nature at the mall’s fountain. “It’s surrounded by plants, Ken.”

Dr. Deb held a deep distrust of the woods, arguing that like in space, nobody could hear you scream in the woods.  She said she’d take out a larger life insurance policy on me.  Dr. Deb communed with nature at the ocean, lying on a chair, surrounded by people who could hear you scream.  I didn’t point out if you did scream, most people would assume you were yelling at your kids and ignore you.

Drivel had stayed in the cabin, but hadn’t liked it. If you could reach a place by car, you were still in the civilization.  Nature, according to Drivel, could only be reached on horseback or by float plane.  “When the pilot says ‘I’ll be back to pick you up in a week,’ man that’s being in nature,” Drivel said.
“Especially if all you have is a sleeping bag, a knife, and a couple matches.”  What he thought of as ‘nature,’ I thought of as a risk to becoming bear droppings.

In any case, I thought it was always good to connect with nature, no matter what the nature of that nature.
Today I will connect with nature that suits my nature.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment