Thursday, August 2, 2018

“To sleep, perchance to dream…” Shakespeare   
“Wake me and die…”  Montrose
I didn’t go to sleep that night. I melted into my bed. At some point during the night, my skin turned to cotton and the sheets accepted me as one of their own. My pillow cradled my head, drawing all negative thoughts out and replacing them with sweet dreams.

Whenever I read the 3 a.m. posts from friends suffering through insomnia, I felt their frustration. Early in recovery, sleep was an iffy thing.  Likewise, concerns of the day have kept me up at night.
 
One memorable day, when I’d been up with a vomiting child the entire night before, someone in detox asked if I was OK.  I glanced in a mirror. I looked like I might have slept under a dumpster after a three-day bender. My eyes were bloodshot, I’d shaved two-thirds of my face, and a piece of baby vomit clung to my hair.  “I just need a little sleep,” I said.

I will be grateful any day I wake up after a good night’s sleep.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment