Sunday, August 12, 2018

Midas/Sadim
When I got home, I took my bike to the local trail. Halfway through my ride, I pedaled through a cloud of gnats. One hit my eye and somehow got under my eyelid.

I rubbed, blinked, and washed my eye with water from a fountain. Nothing worked.  I pedaled most of the way back to my car with one eye watering.  Somewhere along the trail, my tears washed the insect away.  It reminded me of something my first sponsor had said to me.

 “I’m in a deep hole,” I had said, expecting a little understanding.

“You certainly are, Sadim,” he said. I looked at him blankly. He explained, “Sadim is Midas spelled backward.   You’ve taken some golden opportunities and turned them to shit.  But listen, it gets better.  Cry with one eye and keep the other wide open.”

He meant I could cry about today, but not lose sight of where I was going, what I needed to do that day. It also meant look for a better day that was surely coming.

Today I may cry with one eye, but I’ll keep the other wide open.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment