Wednesday, August 22, 2018

When Negotiations Fail
The New Boss forwarded me yet another email from the outside agency about the burnout training. They wanted to renegotiate the length of the training.  He’d added a profanity-laced note.

I texted him back, ‘Thanks for the royal comments.’

He texted me ‘Royal?’

‘Every third word ends in ‘_king,’ I texted back. He sent me an angry emoji.  I sent him and the agency a message saying I would train for five hours on last two weekdays in October, charge $1000, keep the copyrights, and require them to contact me if they wanted to use the tape of the presentation.  I didn’t add the words ‘take it or leave it’ but the message was clear.

Recovery had taught me there was a time to stop negotiating. Towards the end of my drinking days I tried to negotiate with alcohol. I would only drink on weekends. I would limit myself to four beers a night. No booze until after all my schoolwork was done. It never worked.

I gave myself a ‘take it or leave it’ deal. I’d take or leave drinking. I left it behind, and life has been better ever since.

Today I’ll stop negotiating with my addictions and other bad habits.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment