Monday, August 5, 2019


Reasonably Angry?
When I got back to my desk, Cara texted me. ‘Can you talk to Josh’s daughter Brandy? Here’s her #.  She wants to drop Josh’s ashes in a Porta-John.’

I felt my anger building. Josh hadn’t been a saint, but I thought he deserved better. He had fed and clothed and taken care of his daughter alone. He’d scraped together the money for her private school.  Maybe the brat could show a little gratitude.

I took a deep breath.

“Sometimes anger is the only reasonable response,” I said to my laptop.  “But it’s also a drug. It’s a shot of adrenaline with a self-righteous chaser.  It’s mood altering and addictive.”

I wasn’t being reasonable. I was irritated because my friend had thrown his life away, refusing to see he’d picked up a new addiction.  Brandy was just a convenient lightning rod for my wrath.

Once I understood why I was angry, I knew I had to let it go. “Easier said than done.”

Today I’ll try to let go of my unreasonable anger.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose
Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment