Thursday, August 1, 2019


Doing What I Can
A young man knocked on my door.  “They said you could do my drug screen.”

‘All those years of school so I could watch grown men pee,’ I thought.  “Yep, can do,” I said.

When I was still drinking I spent many days stumbling to the bathroom to pee or puke. Thirty years later I still spent a lot of time in the bathroom, but for a better reason.  Drug screens helped people stay clean and sober, especially if a dirty screen might result in jail time.  Doing the screens freed up time for the therapists to spend with our clients.

Doing drug screens wasn’t a big help, and I didn’t do all that many, but it was something.  I wondered if there were other small ways I could help out.

“You must hate this,” the young man said as I closed the bathroom door.

I laughed. “Only when my son tells his friends I hang out in the bathroom, but doesn’t tell them why.”

Today I’ll do what I can to help.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose
Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment