Sunday, August 11, 2019


Talent
Brandy had caught a ride with Cara to the river, but asked if I could take her home.  “That woman can talk!” Brandy said as she closed the car door.

“Yes Cara can,” I agreed.

Brandy leaned forward to study my face. She asked if I was mad.

“A little,” I admitted. “I get angry on the toll addiction takes on talented people.”

“Like my dad?” Brandy asked. “His main talent seemed to be pissing people off.”

I laughed. “He was good at that, but he was also a math wizard.  He wasted his talent figuring out odds, trying to find a way to beat the house.  I thought he could put that ability to better use.”

“Like what?” Brandy asked. 

“He could be funny. He was a really good story teller. He explained things well. I thought he could have been a great math teacher.”

We drove in silence for several miles. I looked over at Brandy. She seemed to be deep in thought. Finally, she said, “He would have been a great teacher.” More silence, and then she added, “Hope you’re happy. Now I’m pissed.”

“Don’t get mad,” I said. “Make yourself a promise you won’t waste your talents, that you’ll do some good in the world.”
Today I’ll try to put my talents to good use.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment