Friday, May 27, 2022

Believing One’s Own Cow Excrement

That Friday was the start of a long holiday weekend. Predictably, several people signed themselves out of treatment against medical advice.


One man was honest about his reason for leaving. “I just want one more blowout weekend. I’ll get sober after that.”


“No, I really am just going to see my uncle,” another man said. “It’s not about drinking.” His body language and tone told me he didn’t really believe it.


Working in the Alumni Office in college, a wealthy alum had given me a piece of advice about success.


“Never believe your own bullshit about what you’re going to do or why,” he had said. “Too many bad, lazy, stupid, ideas come wrapped in self-deception.”


That vey night I had told myself I was going to the bar for a beer and sandwich, knowing deep down I was going to get wasted.


I said to the man leaving treatment, “I can’t stop you from going, but if you do relapse, will you stop lying to yourself?


He laughed and said he’d be back. We never saw him again.

 

Today I’ll be honest with myself.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

                     www.greenbriartraining.com  

                     https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible
 

No comments:

Post a Comment