Tuesday, September 21, 2021


Fawlty Showers 2


Burden

“How’s school going?” I asked Margaret The Newbie when she sat down.


She smiled. “Love the kids.” A moment later she laughed a little and added, “OK, most of the kids.”


Margaret sighed, and we waited for her to say more.


“My students’ married fathers hit on me.  Always the same old line, ‘we should meet somewhere away from school to talk about Junior’s grades.’”


She took a sip of coffee. “Every day somebody who’s never taught school wants to add something for teachers to do.  My boyfriend didn’t dump me because of my drinking. He dumped me because I wasn’t 25 anymore.”


“No shortage of jackasses in your life,” Stanley said. “Whole herd of ‘em.”


“Do you know what my dad used to say?” Margaret asked. “’A jackass is a beast of burden, but you don’t have to be burdened by them.’ I’m overwhelmed, stretched to my limit, but since I got sober, I don’t let the jackasses add to my burden. I mostly just ignore them.”

 

Today I’ll be less burdened by jackasses.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

 

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•             www.greenbriartraining.com 

             https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S 

No comments:

Post a Comment