Thursday, September 23, 2021

Fawlty Showers 2


WD-40 and Ferrari

I saw the For Sale sign on my way to work.


“Alcohol is to doing dumb things what WD-40 is to stuck and rusty nuts and bolts,” I said to the steering wheel.


I knew the guy selling the house. We’d had a few casual conversations at the gym.  I’d heard later he’d lost everything to a Ponzi scheme.


“Lust and greed also grease the skids on dumb ideas,” I said. “Why sink all your money into a somewhat legal, get-rich quick scheme? Because you’ve had four stiff drinks and the extremely attractive sales rep driving a Ferrari promised huge returns on your investment.”


To be sure, I still did dumb things completely sober. I’d washed a pair of pants with my cell phone in the pocket, fell into a creek holding another one. More than once I’d ignored clouds rolling in and been caught in a thunderstorm on my bike.


I said to the steering wheel, “At least I don’t do dumb things that could ruin my life.” I thought for a moment. “OK, if I destroy another phone Dr. Deb might kill me, but still…”


 

Today I’ll be grateful for every dumb thing I don’t do.

 

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

 

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•             www.greenbriartraining.com 

•             https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment