Monday, September 13, 2021

 

Fawlty Showers 2


Today

We sat for a second in silence. The dog barked to be let out.


“Well, the ocean’s no place for a squirrel,” Brat Boy said, quoting Sandy from the Sponge Bob cartoons.


Blondie said, “You stink on ice kid, go home and play with your ducks,” a line from Jimmy Neutron.


I laughed, but drew a blank.


“You lose Dad!” Blondie said.


“What do you mean, I lose?” I asked. “I didn’t even know we were playing.” Apparently we were trying to come up with the best cartoon quotes. I laughed again, and got up to take the dog out.


When my kids were little, I had been sober over a decade. I never lost a day with them due to drinking, always up on the weekends to watch cartoons with them.


 I was happy for myself, but sad for people I saw online losing days to their addictions as they struggled to get sober. “You can’t get a day back,” I said to the dog. “Not one day.”

 

Today I’ll remember I can’t get today back.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

 

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

             www.greenbriartraining.com 

             https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S


No comments:

Post a Comment