Wednesday, September 8, 2021

 

Fawlty Showers 2


This for That

Brat Boy and Blondie came for dinner that weekend. Blondie had gone back for her Ph.D. The first two years had been brutal. She had studied late into the night most nights, getting by on very little sleep, forgoing any social life.  Blondie never regretted the sacrifice, saying her degree had opened many doors for her.


In high school, Brat Boy had given up basketball, a sport he loved, to focus on volleyball. The decision hadn’t been easy.


Later, we had visited several colleges recruiting him to play volleyball. I’d been proud when, after all the work he’d put in, he gave up the sport, choosing to enroll in Pitt’s School of Engineering instead.  


“They’re better at engineering than anybody who recruited me,” Brat Boy had said with a sad shrug.


I had quit drinking relatively young at 28.  What had seemed like a giant sacrifice at the time turned into a bargain once I had replaced alcohol with the rest of life. I’d never lost a minute of their childhoods because I was drunk or hungover.


“Sometimes you give something now to get something better later,” I said.


Dr. Deb laughed. “Are you just now figuring that out?”


Today I will give up something, to get something better.


Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•             www.greenbriartraining.com 

•             https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S 

No comments:

Post a Comment