Thursday, September 30, 2021

Fawlty Showers 2


Gratitude, A Quiet Celebration

Blondie texted me, ‘Your sobriety anniversary is coming up. What are you doing?’


‘Same as always,’ I texted back.


She texted, ‘Daddy!’ with an eye-rolling emoji.


Every year on my sobriety anniversary, Father’s Day, and my birthday, I did the same thing. It made my son laugh, but prompted my wife and daughter to suggest there was plenty more I could do to celebrate.


I would go to the gym for a long workout. When I got home, I’d enjoy a movie, not watching with one eye on my laptop. If my sister could come over, she’d bring a Vincent’s pizza, each slice two inches thick and 1,000 calories.


I’d tell everyone how grateful I was to have them in my life.


Because I’d done such a long workout, I’d fall asleep early in a warm bed, my conscious clear, my responsibilities met, my family keenly aware of how much I loved them.


“Gratitude is like an ongoing, but quiet celebration,” I said to DD.


‘It’s enough,’ I texted Blondie. ‘More than enough.’

 

Today gratitude will be my quiet celebration.



Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

 

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•             www.greenbriartraining.com 

•             https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

No comments:

Post a Comment