Friday, September 17, 2021

Fawlty Showers 2


Should II

“Cognitive therapists say people use the word should too much,” I said to Dipshitdumbass.


DD the bunny shut his eyes. I thought I might be boring him, but I went on.


“There are things you absolutely should do. The new patient should stop driving drunk. He should pay child support.  If you don’t do some shoulds it makes you a bad person.


“On the other hand, people should on themselves all the time. I should go to the gym. I should read more. I should eat more kale.


DD’s ears twitched. Only a rabbit would think anyone should eat more kale.


“They feel sad, thinking not doing these shoulds makes them bad.  But, instead of feeling sad, they’d be smarter to get rid of the should, and replace it with something like ‘I’d feel good if I went to the gym.’ ‘It would benefit me to read more.’  That way doing these things becomes a bonus, not a judgment.”


DD didn’t stir. He wasn’t getting it.


“All I’m saying is people need to stop judging themselves, stop shoulding on themselves.”

 

Today I won’t should on myself.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

 

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

             www.greenbriartraining.com 

             https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S


No comments:

Post a Comment