Thursday, September 2, 2021

 

Fawlty Showers 2


Honestly

The next day was a struggle.  A new synthetic drug had hit the streets and some of our clients were dying to try it.


I tried to convince three people not to leave treatment. One was honest, “I can’t stop until I know I’ve done it all,” he said. “It’s just the way I am.”


The other two argued they had legitimate reasons to leave. A thirtysomething seemed to know she was lying, but the other had truly convinced himself.


“One of the worst things you can do is lie to yourself,” I said. “Lying to yourself helps you stay in dead relationships, lays the groundwork for bad decisions, keeps you from facing hard truths.”


He smiled, and said, “Ken, maybe working in this field has made you think most people are lying to themselves. I’m not. I really am leaving to see my kids.”


A week later he OD’d, a victim of his own lie. 


I didn’t think I was telling myself any really big lies, but I wondered if I didn’t tell myself little lies that hurt me in the long run. 

 

Today I’ll try not to lie to myself.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•             www.greenbriartraining.com 

•             https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

No comments:

Post a Comment