Thursday, September 16, 2021

Fawlty Showers 2


Shoulds

Abigail appeared at my door, a strange look on her face. She told me her aunt had overdosed on whiskey and sleeping pills.


“I believe I should feel sad,” she said. “I feel nothing but relief.”


I ignored the urge to tell her what I thought she needed to hear. She knew.  Finally, she said, “I feel the way I feel. I’m not going to judge myself for it.”


I nodded. Talking more to herself than to me, Abigail said, “People need to look at where their shoulds come from.  My aunt always said I should be grateful she took me in, that I’d be lost without her.”


I said, “And you know that’s BS.”


“I felt guilty for years, telling myself I should be more grateful. Recently, I found out my father paid her to take care of me. I was her meal ticket.”


Abigail thanked me for listening and left.


“She’s right,” I said to Dipshitdumbass the bunny. “Before you feel guilty because of someone says you should do something or feel a certain way, consider the source.  Ask yourself where that should came from.”


Today I’ll look for the source of my shoulds.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

 

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•              www.greenbriartraining.com 

•              https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S
 

No comments:

Post a Comment