Friday, September 10, 2021


Fawlty Showers 2


Rust and Wrecks

Traffic slowed on the way home. I passed a wreck, relieved nobody looked to be seriously hurt. It was early in the morning and I wondered if one of the drivers was coming home from a night of drinking.


I told my family about the accident when I got home. “I hope alcohol was involved.”


Blondie asked, “Daddy, why would you hope that?”


“More people rust than wreck,” I said. “They start out living full lives with a little alcohol, and end up stuck in half lives soaked in booze. Nothing terribly bad happens so they don’t notice they’re rusting away.”


Brat Boy said, “I get it. Rust sneaks up on you, a wreck is almost a blessing. It gets your attention. Maybe the driver responsible for the accident will get help.”


“Doesn’t have to be about alcohol,” Blondie said with a sigh. “One of the secretaries at work doesn’t really love her husband anymore, but they’ve been married 37 years and he’s never done anything really bad. She doesn’t like her job, but she’s had no problems at work in 25 years.  She’s rusting away.”

 

Today I’ll beware of rust.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•             www.greenbriartraining.com 

•             https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

No comments:

Post a Comment