Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Fawlty Showers 2

Help

Talmadge texted to let me know Stanley was in the hospital.  I called his room.


“How are you doing?” I asked.


“When you’re 92 I bet the nurses won’t fight over who gets to give you a sponge bath,” Stanley said with a laugh.


I laughed too. “’Gets to?” Oh what a treat for them.”


“They listen to my heart a lot,” he said. His voice caught, but he added, “Just looking for an excuse to see me bare-chested. Who can blame them?”


We talked for half an hour. Several times he said he didn’t want to bother the nurses.  “I did tell them I’d be happy to talk to anyone who was here ‘cause of an OD.”


I knew what he was really saying. He wanted to help, he didn’t want to be helped.


“You know, it’s ok to ask for help,” I said. “You are in the hospital, you know.”


He snorted, called me “a candy-ass who’d never take his thumb off the nurse call button” if I was in the hospital.


I ignored him, and asked, “You will ask for help if you need it?”


“If it will make you happy,” he said.

 

Today I’ll ask for help if I need it.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•             www.greenbriartraining.com 

•             https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S 

No comments:

Post a Comment