Friday, September 24, 2021

 

Fawlty Showers 2


Tapes and Traffic Cones

To my surprise Randy and Abigail went to their aunt’s funeral, leaving me to cover group that morning.


I asked if anybody had a topic they wanted to discuss. Someone suggested the NA slogan ‘play the tape through.’ It suggested looking past the initial high to what happens after. 


I said, “If I take that first drink, I’ll want another. Take another and I’ll have ten. If I manage not to have another, I’ll convince myself I’m in control and sooner or later I won’t be.”


A young man said, “So before you have that first drink you play the tape through, to remind yourself how it ends.” I nodded.


“I’m the same way about cigarettes,” someone said. “I think I’m going to smoke one, and the next thing I know I’m buying one more ‘last pack.’ Need to quit and play the tape through before I light up another one.”


A woman in her late twenties looked out the window.  I knew she struggled with alcohol, but wondered what other ‘tapes’ she had. Food? Gambling? Sex?


“Traffic cones,” she said. “Late at night, after I’ve had a few, I steal traffic cones.  I say I’m going to take one, but I always end up with a bunch.”   She pointed to the monitor strapped to her ankle. “Next time I’ll play the tape through.”

 

Today I will play the tape through.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

 

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•             www.greenbriartraining.com 

•             https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

No comments:

Post a Comment