Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Fawlty Showers 2

Temptation

The little girls from next door knocked on our door.  Their mother handed me two giant shopping bags with the thirty boxes of cookies I’d ordered.


Dr. Deb came to the door before I could hide them in the hall closet.  To my horror she gave ten boxes to Blondie and ten more to Brat Boy.


“That leaves five for your sister when she comes up tomorrow, and five for you and me.”


“My sister hates cookies,” I lied. “She’s allergic to sweets.”


NA and AA had several slogans about avoiding temptation: ‘If you play on the tracks, you’ll get hit by the train.’ ‘If you sit in the barbershop, sooner or later you’ll get a haircut.’  ‘You don’t go to the brothel to hear the piano player.’


I had a horrible sweet tooth. Diabetes ran in my family. The last thing I needed was 30 boxes of cookies in the house. I whined anyway about losing my beloved Tagalongs, Thin Mints, and Samoas.


“I was going to limit myself to one cookie a day,” I said, knowing I was lying to myself this time.


Dr. Deb snorted. “You were going to eat a sleeve a day. Who says better to limit temptation than rely on willpower?”  I didn’t answer.

 

Today I will eliminate some temptation.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

 

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•             www.greenbriartraining.com 

•             https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S  

No comments:

Post a Comment