Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Fawlty Showers 2

 

Going Through the Motions

When I got back to my office I found DD the bunny happily chewing on a chart that I’d dropped on the floor.


DD and I had been down this road before.  I had a habit of tossing charts from my desk to the floor in front of my filing cabinet, planning to file them later. DD had a habit of eating those charts.


I went to the storage room and got a small, low table.  I put the table against the wall between my desk and the cabinet. 


Using the same motion I’d used to toss the charts onto the floor, I practiced tossing them onto the table.


I turned to DD and said, “Sometimes you can use the motion and momentum of an old habit to start a new one.”


DD gave me a blank stare.


“Someone who went to happy hour every day quits drinking. At the end of the day, they’re restless. The motion and momentum of that habit tugs at them.”


More blank staring from DD.


“Rather than fight that energy head on, they’d be smart to divert it, go somewhere healthy, like the gym.  Same motion, different destination.”

 

Today I’ll go through the motions to a new habit.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

                     www.greenbriartraining.com  

                     https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible


No comments:

Post a Comment