Friday, March 18, 2022

Fawlty Showers 2

 

People, Places, & Things

Life ended badly for the mouse.   I pushed the refrigerator to the side with my shoulder. He saw me and ran in the opposite direction, right to the cat.

“He should have stayed outside,” I said, when I finally cornered the cat, dead mouse in his mouth.  

I wondered if the mouse had wandered into the house before, gotten something to eat, and scampered back out before the cat saw him.

“He must have known you lived here but risked coming in anyway,” I said to the cat.  “This was one of his ‘people, places, and things’ of his people food addiction.”

Twelve Step programs tell you to avoid the ‘people, places, and things’ that put your recovery at risk.  They warn ‘if you play on the tracks, you’ll get hit by the train,’ and ‘sit in the barbershop long enough and you’ll get a haircut.’”

I thought ‘people, places, and things’ applied to a lot of self-destructive behavior.

You don’t go to the bakery when you’re on a diet.

You don’t text the ex who broke your heart, just to see how they’re doing.

You don’t look to see what’s on sale after you’ve maxed out your credit cards.

The list went on.

 

Today I’ll avoid ‘people, places, and things.’

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

                     www.greenbriartraining.com  

                     https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible

No comments:

Post a Comment