Friday, March 4, 2022

Fawlty Showers 2

Oh, Baby

The meeting started with the usual readings.  The chairman introduced the speaker, a stunning blonde woman in her late thirties named Rachel.


“I have four older brothers and each one is more of a muscle-bound, macho ape, than the others,” Rachel said with a laugh.  “My mother was thrilled to have a little girl. My father too.”


Rachel told us how she had been babied her whole life, how her parents and brothers took care of her, protecting her at every turn.


“So when my fiancé drowned, they gathered around me.  My parents paid my mortgage. My brothers paid my bills, cut my lawn, made sure there was food in my refrigerator.”


Rachel spent the next two years drinking whenever she wasn’t at work, at least until she lost her job.


“The company refused to baby me,” she said. “I’m grateful they did. It made me grow up, and take a long look at my life.”


I thought about the day I’d gotten kicked out of my Ph.D. program.  They had refused to baby me, making me take a long look at my own life.  Both Rachel and I were better off for not being babied.

 

Today I’ll be grateful for people who didn’t baby me.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

                    www.greenbriartraining.com  

                    https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible

No comments:

Post a Comment