Friday, June 10, 2022

Fawlty Showers 2

Misery’s Company

A concerned look crossed the young man’s face. “My family wants to go out for a beer to celebrate me finishing rehab.”


“They have to know that’s a bad idea,” I said.


“Misery loves company. Now that I’ve kicked heroin, they want me to be their drinking buddy.”


“Don’t join that company. You’ve worked so hard. Just don’t.”


“I see what you did there,” he said with a sad smile, “but they’re family.”


I got it. Much easier to go with the flow than to fight the current.


“Have you thought about not going home?” I asked. “Maybe getting an apartment or going to a halfway house?”


He stared at his mismatched shoes, sighed, and said, “I guess I’m gonna really have to work at not being part of their miserable company.”


He trudged off to the social worker’s office to see what was available.


“Sometimes you gotta be a little unhappy at first to avoid being a long-term employee of misery’s company,” I said to myself.

 

Today I won’t join misery’s company.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

                     www.greenbriartraining.com  

                     https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible

 

No comments:

Post a Comment