Thursday, June 9, 2022

Fawlty Showers 2

 

Sweet Caroline

The next day a young man sat on the wall in front of the dorms. I sat down with my cup of coffee and asked him how he was doing.


He smiled. “Worst case, I’m embarrassed today.”


“Not sure what you mean,” I said.


“I’ve done a lot of things I’m ashamed of, all of them tied to my addiction.”


“But nothing since you came here and got sober?”


He nodded.


“So what kind of embarrassing thing do you think you’ll do today?” I asked.


“Look at my feet,” he said. He was wearing shoes from different pairs.  “Got dressed in a hurry.”


“At a training I walked into the men’s room with my mic still on, humming Sweet Caroline. When I got back to the conference room, the whole audience started singing it.”


He laughed, “Now that must have been embarrassing.”


“Embarrassment is like a tiny reminder of what shame feels like, except you can laugh about it.  I try to be grateful for it.”

 

Today I’ll try to be grateful if I do something embarrassing.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

                     www.greenbriartraining.com  

                     https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible

No comments:

Post a Comment