Thursday, June 16, 2022

Fawlty Showers 2

That afternoon Katy wanted to run an errand. She asked if she could put Baby Kara in my office.


“I don’t know,” I said, “she did throw up on me.”


Katy laughed. “Well, you brought your face awfully close to hers.”

I smiled, and said I’d be happy to.


Later, Kara started to fuss a little. I picked her up and put her on my shoulder, humming softly. She slept while I watched a training on my laptop.


I remembered when my kids were little.


Sleepless nights, up with a sick child, going to work the next day looking worse than the guy in detox kicking heroin. Toxic waste dump diapers, noses running like sewer lines, brown stains you prayed were chocolate.


Then I recalled the good parts.


Child sleeping on your shoulder. Telling you what they’d learned in school that day. Trying to guess if the drawing they made just for you was a unicorn, a four-legged tank, or an alien.


“Children,” I whispered to Kara, “are the best example of being grateful when the good far outweighs the bad.”


Today I’ll be grateful when the good far outweighs the bad.

  

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

                     www.greenbriartraining.com  

                     https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment